Friday, February 13, 2009

Addison's Home/Waterbirth

August 28th, 2007
8lbs 1oz & 20inches

I had been having contractions on and off for weeks, so I didn’t think anything of it when I started having mild contractions early in the morning on August 27th. It was around 2-3am, and they were a little uncomfortable, but I slept through them the best I could. I had to get up early to get Wyatt and myself ready to go. Dan worked that night, but would be home to pick us up so we could go pick my mom up at the airport. She decided to fly in since the 28th was my due date. I continued to have mild contractions and they were pretty regular. I was kind of suspicious, but wasn’t sure if it was real or not. Wyatt and I were ready when Dan got home and we left for the airport.

About halfway there, we stopped to get gas and I knew it was real. The contractions were getting stronger and were very regular and it was pretty uncomfortable to be in the car. We discussed turning around and sending someone to get my mom, but decided to keep going since we were already halfway there. Of course, we got stuck in horrible city traffic. The contractions weren’t painful yet, but all I wanted was to stand up since sitting was so uncomfortable! Finally, we arrived at the airport and found my mom. Thank goodness she already had her bags and was ready to go. I let her know I was in labor and she was so excited about our “perfect timing.” Traffic wasn’t nearly as bad driving home and we stopped at Wal-Mart to grab a few last minute things and headed home. We got home around 7pm. It felt SO good just to be out of the car! Dan got Wyatt put to bed and he and my mom ate dinner. As soon as Wyatt was in bed, labor changed suddenly. Contractions became painful and I had to really focus on each of them. It felt good to walk and then lean on the wall or couch when one came on. Dan asked if we should call our midwives and I agreed. That was around 8:30pm and I was down on my knees leaning over my birthing ball. I wanted to try it since it felt wonderful during labor with Wyatt. It was ok..not quite right, but I stayed there because walking was becoming tiring.

Our midwives arrived between 9:30-10pm, I think. The lights were low and everyone was super mellow and quiet. There was just a sense of calm and peace and being ready. I was absolutely thrilled to be in labor since the pregnancy had been really hard on me! I remember Pamela (our midwife) asking me if I wanted to try the birth pool. I agreed it was time, so they started filling it up. My contractions continued to get stronger steadily and were more painful and totally different from what I felt with Wyatt. When they were ready, I got up to go to the bathroom and got stuck on the toilet through some very strong contractions. Finally, I was able to get up and get into the birth pool a few feet away. I think that was around 11:30pm.

Once again, labor suddenly changed. The water felt AMAZING this time. I can’t say it lessoned the pain, but it helped me release my muscles and let go of my body, so it could do what it was meant to. Right away, I felt my body start to push and I was able to just relax myself and be totally consumed by it. I had resumed my favorite position of on my knees and leaning over the side of the birth pool. I would come up on my knees to rock during a contraction and would relax down into the water in between. I remember focusing on my breathing and thinking how amazing it was that I could feel every little thing that was going on inside and outside my body and I knew exactly what all of it was.

I remember distinctly when my pushing changed from gentle to very strong. I *had* to push and I remember it made me roar like a lion each time. It, once again, felt SO good to push and I was so excited that I would meet our baby girl soon! She had been moving and kicking through the entire labor! Finally, with one incredibly strong push, I felt her move under my pubic bone. I roared, “She’s coming!” Then I laughed when I heard everyone in the other room jump up to come see. The air was still calm, but you could feel the growing excitement from everyone in the room. I knew that Dan was there outside the pool, but right behind me and was telling me he could see her head more and more with each push. I was totally unaware of everyone else and completely focused on my little baby that was coming to meet me! I felt her start to crown almost right away and I again welcomed that burning sensation. I slowed my breathing and relaxed my body and let it take over and gently push her out. Her head emerged under the water slowly with 3 small pushes. With one more push, she was out to her belly button. This was a crazy time for my body to take a break, but that’s just what it did! I remember laughing, because I could feel her arms “swimming” in the water behind me and she was still kicking her legs in my tummy! What an amazing feeling! I was finally able to give a little push and Dan helped by pulling gently. She was born at 12:54am on her due date after a half hour of pushing and a total of 6 pushes!

Dan held her just floating on the top of the water until I could turn around and sit down. I scooped her up to my chest and was overwhelmed with gratitude. She was finally here and she was healthy and absolutely gorgeous! I kept saying that I couldn’t believe I had just done that again! Everyone just stared with awe at our newest miracle. She also latched on and started to nurse right away.

About 15 minutes later, I started having contractions again, so I handed Addie to Dan and got on my knees to deliver the placenta. It took a few minutes, but it came out easily and was whole and healthy. Once again, I had no bleeding until after the placenta was delivered! We then had my mom cut the cord and Dan wrapped Addie up and snuggled her while our midwives attended to me. I wanted to shower, but I was still too weak, so I walked slowly to the bedroom and lay down in bed. Dan brought Addie to me and we cuddled and nursed. I don’t know when, but Dan’s parents arrived and I let them take Addie to the living room and the midwives came to check on me. My bleeding was normal and I had no tears again!! Whoo hoo! The midwives then did Addie’s exam. She was absolutely perfect!

I lay in bed with my sweet new baby girl and drank juice while everyone else cleaned up. It was 3am when our midwives and Dan’s parents left. We were all ready for some sleep! We all slept well until 8am, when Wyatt woke up. Dan brought him down to meet his new baby sister. He didn’t know what to think at first, but was soon crawling up on the couch to give her kisses. At that site, my heart became complete mush.


Lisa said...

You are a rock star birther!! She is/ was just beautiful!!

Katie said...

Thank you! I've been so lucky with my pregnancies, births, and babies being so healthy!

Just praying for more of the same this time around!

Heather said...

btw, august 28 is my anniversary :)